08.01.23 – 08.05.23
Level 2: Essentials of River Kayaking IDW/ICE with PSF Endorsement & Angler Endorsement
1135 Cuba Landing Rd, Waverly, TN, USA
This is a Level 2: Essentials of River Kayaking IDW/ICE course with Paddlesports Safety Facilitator Instructor Endorsement and Paddlesports Angler Instructor Endorsement; it will take place over a period of 5 full days August 1st through 5th, 2023. Time will be spent in the classroom and on the water. Each candidate will be expected to not only demonstrate the required criteria, but also be able to teach how to perform the required elements of the curriculum. Instructor certification will be earned based upon the candidate’s ability to successfully demonstrate/teach the elements of the published instructor criteria. Participation does not guarantee certification.
The Paddlesports Safety Facilitator Instructor Endorsement is an additional instructor credential that allows instructors to teach the Paddlesports Safety Facilitator 4 year professional safety certification to trip leaders, outfitter seasonal employees, nonprofit volunteers, and other students. The endorsement is earned based upon the candidate’s ability to successfully demonstrate/teach the elements of the curriculum and pass the associated written exam. Participation does not guarantee endorsement.
The Paddlesports Angler Instructor Endorsement will consist of one day on the water/classroom as well as a classroom session with exam. The endorsement is an additional instructor credential for ACA instructors who would like to teach fishing courses as well. Endorsement is earned based upon the candidate’s ability to successfully demonstrate/teach the elements of the curriculum. Participation does not guarantee endorsement.
For the Paddlesports Angler Instructor Endorsement, topics covered will include:
- How to safely paddle/fish with a kayak loaded with fishing gear
- How to mitigate common hazards associated with kayak fishing (entanglements, anchoring, etc.)
- How to properly select the most common types of fishing gear (rods, reels, baits)
- How to locate fish in different types of water
- How to properly set/use and anchor and anchor line
- How to paddle a loaded kayak efficiently
- How to use local/online resources to plan a safe kayak fishing trip
- Kayak rigging and safety concerns
- For a detailed list of expectations and skills click here.
Cost of this Level 2: Essentials of River Kayaking IDW/ICE with PSF & Paddlesports Anger Instructor Endorsement is $515.
No refunds are available for this class unless the instructors cancel. Thank you for understanding about the level of preparation that is required to put on an instructor certification course. The ACA requires a minimum of 4 instructor candidates to enroll in this class through this registration process for the class to be held. In the event fewer than 4 people enroll, the instructor will provide refunds less the transaction fee.
- ACA membership is required for participation in this certification course.
- A Tennessee fishing license will be required for all participants in the Paddlesports Angler Endorsement course.
The following gear will be necessary to complete this course:
- Life jacket
- Sit-on-tops are acceptable, but if certified as an instructor in a sit-on-top you will only be allowed to teach others in a sit-on-Top. If certified in a sit inside kayak, you will be certified to teach students using either sit-on-top or sit inside kayaks.
- Skirt (Optional)
- Paddlesports Anglers:
- Fishing rod/reel (what you are most comfortable with)
- Fishing lures (what you are most comfortable fishing with)
Room and board: This course will be located at the TWRA Buffalo Ridge Refuge facility in Waverly, TN. Your tuition includes your housing in a tiny house at the TWRA Academy at Buffalo Ridge Refuge. You will have access to a full kitchen at the bunk house.
What to bring?
- Gear and equipment for your camping/lodging: twin sized sheets or sleeping bag
- Camp chair
- Food and water for your entire weekend
- Lunches could be on the water (so plan accordingly)
- Proper clothing (hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, closed toe shoes, strap for glasses, rain jacket, etc.)
- Tennessee Fishing License
Contact Information Andrea White