NGB Bylaw Revision Process
Overview of Bylaw Revision Process Related to NGB Status
In August 2017, the ACA Board of Directors recommended to the membership that the ACA bylaws be revised to comply with certain requirements from the U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC), the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act and New York state law. These revisions would allow the ACA to comply with the requirements to become the National Governing Body (NGB) for the Olympic sports of Slalom and Sprint and the Paralympic sport of Paracanoe in the United States as recognized by the USOC and the International Canoe Federation (ICF). For a timeline of this process, please visit: www.americancanoe.org/Olympics.
Support from Various Parties
“It is wonderful to see the sport brought back together. Reconnecting the base, and heart, of the sport with those who have a passion to pursue Olympic dreams can only lead to a richer future for all.” Norman Bellingham, 1988 Olympic Gold Medalist, former Chief Operating Officer for the United States Olympic Committee.
“As an organization that works with the Nation’s youth as well as veterans and engages all aspects of paddling from elite skills to grassroots local communities, the ACA is well suited to assume the role of National Governing Body for canoeing.” Robert Gates, former United States Secretary of Defense, former National President of the Boy Scouts of America.
“It is exciting for those of us in the outrigger paddling community to see the American Canoe Association bring together the paddling ‘ohana to help empower paddlers of all skills to achieve their athletic potential and possibly even compete on the Olympic and World stage.” Bruce Blankenfeld, Pwo navigator on the Hōkūle‘a, President of the Hui Nalu Canoe Club.
As an ACA Instructor Trainer Educator and producer of paddling instruction videos, it is extremely rewarding to teach young people paddling skills and especially exciting that the ACA instructor corps can play a role in discovering the next generation of Olympians.” Kent Ford, producer of Performance Video, SEIC Instructor Trainer Educator, Slalom National & World Champion, Inductee in the International Whitewater Hall of Fame, ACA Legend of Paddling.
“It’s about time.” Frank Havens, 1948 Silver Medalist, 1952 Gold Medalist.
Letter from U.S. Senator Tim Kaine (PDF)
- Bylaw Documents
- ACA Board voted to approve the revised Bylaws and send to membership for approval.
- Board Motion: To approve the revised ACA Bylaws, including rationale, as of 8/24/2017 and present to the ACA membership for a vote.
- Voting for revisions to ACA Bylaws to become the NGB for the Olympics and Paralympics opened.
- USOC CEO Scott Blackmun presented the ACA’s NGB Application to the USOC Board of Directors for their vote.
- Last day for ACA members to login and change or rescind a previously cast electronic vote.
- Board of Directors & Annual Membership Meeting at the National Paddlesports Conference.
- Members were able to cast their vote in person (or change a previously cast electronic vote).
- The Board Secretary also casted the overall electronic proxy vote.
- Deadline to finalize vote count (electronically and at Annual Meeting) and announce the outcome of the Bylaw voting.
- Competition Council Operating Procedures
- Board Policy ATH-001: Athlete Representative Classifications
- Board Policy MEM-001: Membership Classifications
- Board Policy GOV-009: Competition Council
- Board Policy GOV-011: Electronic Voting Process
- Board Policy GOV-013: Grievance
- Board Policy GOV-014: Independence Criteria
- Board Policy ENC-001: Ethics & Conduct
- Board Policy ENC-002: Conflict of Interest
- Board Meeting Minutes: September 13, 2017
September 13, 2017