Important 2021 Update: Sugar Island is currently accepting camping reservations. U.S. and Canadian residents should become familiar with the U.S.-Canada border entry restrictions prior to making any travel/camping plans.
About Sugar Island
Sugar Island is located in the heart of the Thousand Islands in Gananoque, Ontario Canada, which is an international tourism destination near the St. Lawrence Islands National Park. The 35 acre island is privately owned by the ACA and is available to all members for year round use.
Getting to Sugar Island is as much of part of your trip as your stay. The island is located approximately two miles from the Canadian Mainland. You can paddle out to the island or the great folks at Misty Isles Lodge in Gananoque, Ontario offer a water taxi service to the island.
What to do on an island you might ask? The island is rustic, with no modern amenities. It is a pristine, pure environment with crystal clear water, clean air, and beautiful night skies. Swim, snorkel, fish, paddle, sail, or simply relax.
Cabin & Tent Platform Usage for 2021
Stay for a weekend, a week, or a month!
Cabins available for weekly use:
- Commodore, Lysak ($275 per week)
- Jahn ($375 per week)
Cabins available for rent for the entire season:
- Springel, Klecka, and Hasse
Season Rate: $1,250 U.S. Dollars
We’re sorry – the deadline for submitting rental requests for 2021 was March 15. Please contact Marilyn Vogel (email@example.com) with any questions about 2021. Please check our website early in 2022 for information about next year.
New ACA members receive two free nights of camping!
- More Information
- Encampment Schedule
- Board of Trustees
- Electronic Waiver for adults and minors
- Paper Insurance Waiver for adults
- Paper Insurance Waiver for minors
- Maps (Detailed / Overview)
- History of Sugar Island
- Ecology of Sugar Island
- Green Cleaning
- Kayak Touring at Sugar Island
- International Canoe Regatta at Sugar Island (YouTube)
- Sea kayaking around the Island (YouTube)
- Sugar Island Rules & Regulations
- Sugar Island Emergency Action Plan
- Sugar Island (Facebook)
- Opening ceremony
- BINGO night!
- Trustees Meeting
- Camp work day
- Sugar Island Camp Meeting – Following Colors
- Swim around the island at 10:00 am
- Encampment Dinner at 6:00 pm
- Island Campfire (at headquarters)
- Waivers (Click Here)
- 2pm all classes (open canoe)
- 10am and 2 pm 5 meter race
- 10am and 2pm ACA Class Race
- Chair: Scott Andrews (Maine)
- Vice-Chair: John Kells (Massachusetts)
- Secretary: Kristina Katsalidas (New York)
- Treasurer: Kathy Kempson (New York)
- Registrar: Marilyn Vogel (Pennsylvania)
- Susan Blake (New Jersey)
- John Nowicky (New Jersey)
- Tom Coyle (New Jersey)
ACA National Encampment Schedule (Tentative): July 25 – August 6, 2021
*Encampment attendees must be full, annual ACA members to participate
Encampment Sailing Race Schedule:
Arts and Crafts will be Monday – Wednesday – Friday of the first week
Additionally, an island clean-up run by Leslie Mengersen is scheduled for the second week.