|Events||WK-1 , Wildwater|
|Years On Team||2 (since 2021)|
|Club||Potomac Whitewater Racing Club (PWRC)|
|Schools/Work||Walt Whitman High School|
|Hobbies||Baking , reading and building model cars|
“Just do the best you can. No one can do more than that.” – John Wooden
7 Things You Didn't Know about Marcella Altman
- Marcella ski races competitively during the winter and was the 2020 Pennsylvania U16 State Champion. She also finished 11th overall in slalom at the 2020 Eastern High School Championships
- In her downtime, she likes to run, bike, read and cook.
- Her favorite places to compete are Bratislava, Prague and Augsburg. She hopes to visit canals she hasn't yet been to in the future.
- Marcellas cousin, Etienne Daille, a French slalom canoeist, competed at the 2012 Olympic Games.
- Her current boat design is borrowed from Jana Dukatova, 2013 World Champion from Slovakia (as of June 2021).
- Marcella also did gymnastics and figure skating when she was younger. She ran cross country and track competitively through middle school.
- She loves studying foreign languages and currently speaks 5 world languages.
World Cups2021 Prague World Cup: WK-1, 32nd place
U.S. Team Trials2017: WK-1, 5th place
2019: WK-1, 9th place
2021: WK-1, 4th place
U.S. National Championships2017: WK-1, 6th place; WC-1, 3rd place
More On Marcella Altman
Marcella loves visiting new places around the world, especially if there’s a kayaking course there. While she’s been to many places in Europe so far, she hopes to visit Markkleeberg and La Seu one day and overseas courses as well.
She first sat in a kayak before she could even walk as both her parents were avid kayakers. Her mom raced for the U.S. team and had top 10 finishes at World Cups and national titles in wildwater. Marcella made the wildwater team in 2020, but unfortunately, the World Championships were cancelled.
In the winter, Marcella spends time ski racing at Ski Roundtop Racing Club in Pennsylvania, and is grateful for the wonderful group of athletes and coaches as well as her experiences racing at state and Eastern Championships. Despite previously not seeing herself as a mountain biker, she started biking during the pandemic with her dad. Growing up Marcella also took gymnastics classes, ran track until high school, and figure skates once a week. Marcella loves to kayak and hopes to continue improving and learning new skills. In the future, she hopes to try new sports such as rock climbing and travel to places around the world.