2020 ACA MARATHON NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
POSTPONED UNTIL JUNE 27, 2020
Due to the overwhelming desire among the ACA’s marathon athletes to hold our annual national championship, and after much deliberation with appropriate authorities, the Sugar Land Kayak Racing Club is pleased to announce that the ACA Marathon Championships & Team Trials will be held on June 27, 2020. The venue, Brooks Lake in Sugar Land, Texas, remains unchanged.
This postponement date comports with requirements recently issued by the ACA, as well as current County and State social distancing guidelines.
Due to the current pandemic, the following adjustments will be implemented for the 2020 event:
(1) All pre-race and post-race briefings that cannot be conducted remotely will be conducted outdoors, along the lake shore, in adherence with appropriate social distancing guidelines.
(2) We will not pursue a spectator audience for the 2020 event.
(3) We will pursue only limited sponsorships for 2020.
(4) There will not be a K2/C2 event this year.
To mitigate the impact of our seasonal mid-summer heat, we will make adjustments to the original (May 9th) itinerary, including the following:
(1) The race will begin at 8 a.m. (as opposed to the traditional 10 a.m. start).
(2) The distance across all classes will be abbreviated. For example, the Senior Men’s K1 race, usually 30-kilometers, will be approximately 23-kilometers, with similar abbreviated distances for all classes. Precise distances will be announced soon.
(3) The two large fountains nearest the pedestrian bridge, usually utilized as outbound/inbound dividing marker buoys, will be available to paddle under on the return lap.
The 2020 ICF Marathon World Championships have been cancelled. As a result, the 2020 ACA Marathon Championships will not serve its usual function as the selection race for the World Championship Team. However, athletes who satisfy the time standard (to be determined given the aforementioned abbreviated distances) will be named to Team USA, and will be eligible to compete in the 2021 World Cup Marathon events.
For more information, please click here.